On March 31, 1952, the Andona Society was founded as a manifestation of the desire of its charter members, Mesdames David Burns, Suzanne Hill, Guy B. Howe, Jr., Warren Lewis, L. Gleynn Yeaton, Jr. to create a charitable organization in the town of Andover. The name Andona was chosen as a combination of the name Andover with the Latin verb “to give.” Mrs. Guy B. Howe, Jr. was the first president.
One of the first recipients of Andona’s charitable endeavors was the Andover Home for Aged People. The members visited patients, remembered them with cards and cakes on special occasions, and later purchased a washing machine, television set, and other equipment for the Home. At this time, the fund raising events of the organization included square dances, fashion shows, bazaars, bakery sales and plays. As the club grew in membership and the treasury increased, additional contributions were made by Andona to the Andover Visiting Nurse Association and Andover Red Cross. In addition, the group sponsored deserving boys and girls at local Boy Scout and Girl Scout camps.
For over fifty years, this volunteer, non-profit organization has raised thousands of dollars from the generous local businesses and residents of the Andover community. These funds have been distributed to enhance educational, athletic and cultural enrichment programs offered to young people in Andover.
Andona Then & Now